According to the students, Center Elementary is a great place to go to school. When asked why recently, here were some of their responses:
- Teachers want to know what we are interested in and then make lessons around our interests.
- When I learn, it is like a big question every day. They keep asking us why. This makes us think more. It is impressive that we learn so much new stuff in one day.
- All of my teachers have been amazing and our principal is beyond amazing. They all want us to do our best every day.
- The teachers challenge us to do our best every day. And they make us challenge ourselves.
- Our PE teacher chooses fun games and we are expected to get stronger.
- Everyone at school helps me achieve my goal to be successful at school.
- Our principal is very nice. When you get into trouble, she isn’t real mad but helps you learn from your mistake. She is always very nice to everyone.
- My teacher believes that you can do anything you put your mind to. She tells us every day and now I believe it.
- When we make good choices, we get assemblies from people that we would never get to see. For example, we got a magic show and the Jesse White tumblers.
- We do Fun Friday activities when we are good during the week. We do fun things like putting a cookie on our face and trying to get it into our mouth. When we couldn’t do it, we had to talk about it and figure out a better way.
- Each quarter we get to celebrate good behavior. Sometimes we take field trips, like to the park and pool and other times we get assemblies. We had a carnival at the beginning of the year to remind us to make good choices and this year we are going to have a giant water balloon fight at the end of the year for being good.
- We get to do fun things in class like Break-Out-Boxes. We have to solve clues to open locks on a box and it is challenging and fun. It takes teamwork and hard thinking. They are so much fun to do.
- I have done a lot of exciting lessons and activities this year. We even do lessons with 21st century skills. This means we have to collaborate, be creative, use our hands, and solve problems. Sometimes it is hard, but it always fun.
- Our teachers give us choices on the things we want to do or how we like to learn. Sometimes I don’t like to write so my teacher lets me draw to explain. And I like sitting on the floor instead of my desk. She lets me do that too.
- We have studied more than what is in a book, like Greek myths, mystery science, and holidays around the world.
- School is very safe and bullying is not allowed.
- We have great technology at school and that helps us learn in different ways. We get to use our computers every day in class.
- The teachers encourage us to have good attendance. If our class comes to school 90% of 20 days, we get a popcorn party. It inspires me to come to school.